WIGband was created by Johanna Poethig and Barbara Golden in 1985. Over the last two decades WIGband has used a mélange of multi media (installation, film, video, song, slides, props) to get their “trashy feminist” point across. Seriously silly and tasteless Wigband is known for its in your face satire of life’s everyday imposed conformities and across the globe obscene politics. Motivated by the most personal experiences WIGband is about living in this era as women, our physical needs and obsessions and our uninhibited intelligence. WIGband’s Barbara “Bambi” Golden, at fabulous 61, is a “born again” artiste who wrote her first song at 40, and a much married ex-housewife/schoolteacher from Montreal who has produced everything from a music/recipe book to works of experimental music. Johanna “Silver” Poethig, daughter of missionaries, periodically impersonates General Douglas MacArthur and is a well known visual and public artist.
The Shadowshopper is a partial catalog of over 200 Bay Area artist's wares for sale at Shadowshop, a temporary retail project by Stephanie Syjuco embedded in SFMOMA's fifth floor galleries. 100% of all sales go directly to the artist-producer. Support local creative capital!
3/14 UPDATES!Time is running out to visit Shadowshop! We officially shutter our doors forever on May 1, 2011. Only open for just over five months, we were always meant to be temporary. Join us to see hot new inventory from local Bay Area artists, and save the date of April 28 for our "FINAL DAYS" closing event party!
Monday - Tuesday: 11:30am - 5pm
Thursday: 11:30am - 8pm
Friday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5pm
*closed for 1/2 hour every day for lunchbreak anytime from 1-2pm
i’m looking for:
- SHADOWSHOP FINAL DAYS Closing Event! April 28
- MARCH RESIDENT ARTIST: Juan Luna-Avin: black markets and media bootlegs!
- alena rudolph: potluck pals
- laura splan: mirror mirror
- jeff foye + gordon winiemko
- imin yeh: authentic handcarved woodblocks
- gabrielle teschner: make nation
- charlene tan: happymeal
- art for a democratic society: iraq war activity book
- matthew rana & rick butler: the autobiography of ernest patrick butler
- alison pebworth: occular recovery packet
- marci washington: dark mirror zine
- art for a democratic society: if you give a gay mouse a cookie
- hilary pecis: cut & paste (paper dolls)
- art for a democratic society: letters from an old sell-out
- FEBRUARY RESIDENT ARTIST IMIN YEH and the NIANHUA WORKSHOP!
- alison pebworth: vintage roadside show & tell patches
- nathan lynch: respect yourself
- robert larkin: baldessaring baldessari
- kelly lynn jones: a mediated living box
- justin hoover: 100 performances for the hole
- terry hoff: fu & iou
- teri claude: drag dollars
- art for a democratic society: community consensus manifesto
- art for a democratic society: ultimate manifesto set