As a hedge against economic, political or social crisis, investors are often advised to purchase precious metals. In the recent investment craze, gold gets all the attention – why not copper? Pennies minted before 1983 contain 95% copper and can be easily stockpiled in Survival Coin-tainers®. Even in situations where currency loses acceptance, copper retains its value.
Whitney Lynn is a multi-media artist who explores ideas of containment and the messy intersections between political, military, and civilian cultures. Her project-based work combines elements of installation, sculpture, performance and video. Born on Williams Air Force Base, she received her MFA in New Genres from the San Francisco Art Institute and BFA in Sculpture + Extended Media from Virginia Commonwealth University. Lynn has exhibited at Exit Art, New York; Catharine Clark Gallery and Patricia Sweetow Gallery in San Francisco; and the Headlands Center for the Arts in Sausalito, California. She currently teaches at the San Francisco Art Institute and Saint Mary’s College of California. Lynn lives and works in San Francisco.
The Shadowshopper is a partial catalog of over 200 Bay Area artist's wares for sale at Shadowshop, a temporary retail project by Stephanie Syjuco embedded in SFMOMA's fifth floor galleries. 100% of all sales go directly to the artist-producer. Support local creative capital!
3/14 UPDATES!Time is running out to visit Shadowshop! We officially shutter our doors forever on May 1, 2011. Only open for just over five months, we were always meant to be temporary. Join us to see hot new inventory from local Bay Area artists, and save the date of April 28 for our "FINAL DAYS" closing event party!
Monday - Tuesday: 11:30am - 5pm
Thursday: 11:30am - 8pm
Friday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5pm
*closed for 1/2 hour every day for lunchbreak anytime from 1-2pm
i’m looking for:
- SHADOWSHOP FINAL DAYS Closing Event! April 28
- MARCH RESIDENT ARTIST: Juan Luna-Avin: black markets and media bootlegs!
- alena rudolph: potluck pals
- laura splan: mirror mirror
- jeff foye + gordon winiemko
- imin yeh: authentic handcarved woodblocks
- gabrielle teschner: make nation
- charlene tan: happymeal
- art for a democratic society: iraq war activity book
- matthew rana & rick butler: the autobiography of ernest patrick butler
- alison pebworth: occular recovery packet
- marci washington: dark mirror zine
- art for a democratic society: if you give a gay mouse a cookie
- hilary pecis: cut & paste (paper dolls)
- art for a democratic society: letters from an old sell-out
- FEBRUARY RESIDENT ARTIST IMIN YEH and the NIANHUA WORKSHOP!
- alison pebworth: vintage roadside show & tell patches
- nathan lynch: respect yourself
- robert larkin: baldessaring baldessari
- kelly lynn jones: a mediated living box
- justin hoover: 100 performances for the hole
- terry hoff: fu & iou
- teri claude: drag dollars
- art for a democratic society: community consensus manifesto
- art for a democratic society: ultimate manifesto set