As a child of immigrants, assimilating and culture shock come naturally as breathing. Accepting and having the American taste for fast food came as a hallmark of socio-economic assimilation, a badge of honor. An example of this “badge of honor” can be found in the “Happymeal” marketed to children by offering toys and junk food.
Charlene Tan is an artist who lives and works in the San Francisco Bay Area. Born in Houston, Texas she spent most of her childhood in the Philippines only to go back to San Francisco to begin her education. She is a 2010 History of Contemporary Art BA candidate at San Francisco Art Institute. Her work has been shown at The Intersection for the Arts, The Marin Headlands Center for the Arts, [2nd Floor Projects], and Southern Exposure. Her practice is diverse, sculpture to performance work investigating topics on assimilation, consumer culture, phobias, and socio-political passivity.
The Shadowshopper is a partial catalog of over 200 Bay Area artist's wares for sale at Shadowshop, a temporary retail project by Stephanie Syjuco embedded in SFMOMA's fifth floor galleries. 100% of all sales go directly to the artist-producer. Support local creative capital!
3/14 UPDATES!Time is running out to visit Shadowshop! We officially shutter our doors forever on May 1, 2011. Only open for just over five months, we were always meant to be temporary. Join us to see hot new inventory from local Bay Area artists, and save the date of April 28 for our "FINAL DAYS" closing event party!
Monday - Tuesday: 11:30am - 5pm
Thursday: 11:30am - 8pm
Friday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5pm
*closed for 1/2 hour every day for lunchbreak anytime from 1-2pm
i’m looking for:
- SHADOWSHOP FINAL DAYS Closing Event! April 28
- MARCH RESIDENT ARTIST: Juan Luna-Avin: black markets and media bootlegs!
- alena rudolph: potluck pals
- laura splan: mirror mirror
- jeff foye + gordon winiemko
- imin yeh: authentic handcarved woodblocks
- gabrielle teschner: make nation
- charlene tan: happymeal
- art for a democratic society: iraq war activity book
- matthew rana & rick butler: the autobiography of ernest patrick butler
- alison pebworth: occular recovery packet
- marci washington: dark mirror zine
- art for a democratic society: if you give a gay mouse a cookie
- hilary pecis: cut & paste (paper dolls)
- art for a democratic society: letters from an old sell-out
- FEBRUARY RESIDENT ARTIST IMIN YEH and the NIANHUA WORKSHOP!
- alison pebworth: vintage roadside show & tell patches
- nathan lynch: respect yourself
- robert larkin: baldessaring baldessari
- kelly lynn jones: a mediated living box
- justin hoover: 100 performances for the hole
- terry hoff: fu & iou
- teri claude: drag dollars
- art for a democratic society: community consensus manifesto
- art for a democratic society: ultimate manifesto set